Tuesday, August 16, 2011

can we say HELLO YELLOW!

So my wknd project .... I decided to paint a rug..I know everyone's doing it..but I wanted to see if I could do it for myself with a small one so that I could do bigger ones in the future!  And I did..and rocked it!  WOOWOO...but anyways I'm going to show you how to paint the rug and get your input!


First: Buy yourself a rug, or use an old one that needs a facelift, some painters tape, paint, and sponge brushes if you don't have them.

This is what I started with...a $3.99 rug from Menards and some painters tape I already had.



Lay down the rug flat and just start taping whatever kind of pattern you want. I chose Chevron because I wanted some flair and I like crazy! Some people like to do thicker stripes and others choose close together..I chose close together and to be honest I didn't measure I just taped where I thought needed it...but make sure you have perfectly pointed tips...I forgot to take a picture of just the taped off pieces ..such a horrible blogger...but the next thing you want to do is lay down lots of newspaper underneath and around.  I also cut open a box and put it underneath just incase the paint went through the rug...it didn't but just for clean up reasons then start painting.  I chose to do 2 colors so I switched between every other.

 I did the yellow first as you can see I let it dry and then I went over it again just to make it pop...afterwards I did white..

The white deff. needed a second coat so I waited for it to dry and put the 2nd coat on..

Can you see the difference between the first coat and 2nd coat....after it was all done and dried I took the tape off...

and here is the final product....I love it...David loves it..my family thinks it's loud just like me..so I guess that means they love it too!  I'm still debating on putting some kind of protective topping on it, but not sure what to use...any ideas?  How do you think it turned out???  Not bad for my first go at it..is it??





3 comments: